What are Pathways?
Pathways are roadmaps for students to help determine high school electives, future fields of employment, and/or post-secondary opportunities. By participating in a pathway, students complete a standard Grade 12 Diploma with all elective classes being tied to their chosen pathway.
Beginning in Grade 10, each student at Scott Collegiate will be a part of a pathway. This decision is made at the end of Grade 9. The 4 pathways are:
- Food Tourism & Hospitality
- Communication Media Arts
A Pathway Experience Looks Like…
Grade 9 – Students will explore all four pathways during this time. By the end of Grade 9, students will choose one pathway to be a part of.
Grade 10 – Students will earn two introductory credits and participate in group community work experiences.
Grade 11 – Students will earn two intermediate credits and participate in group community work experiences.
Grade 12 – Students will earn four advanced credits as well as participate in an individual internship experience.
Pathway Program Benefits
- Develop industry-specific skills
- Hands-on learning
- Work experience
- Employability skills – help secure a job after graduation
- Based on your interests & strengths
- Connections to industry professionals & community organizations
- Certifications, experience & skills for post-secondary opportunities
- See value in school/learning
- Increased confidence & sense of purpose
- In some cases, students even get paid while completing their pathway requirements!